Do Good For Others
In everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets. – Matthew 6:12
Our Scripture passage today records The Golden Rule as a command of Jesus. In our human nature we want others to treat us the way we want, in the nature of Christ we are commanded to treat others in the way we want to be treated.
Notice that Jesus said that if we can follow this command we will have fulfilled all of the law and the prophets.
Here are some practical suggestions to help us do that:
- Recognize how important others are. Every person has been created in the image of God and we are to respect them.
- Other people have all the rights we expect for ourselves – respect their rights.
- Do not allow gossip and slander to slant your opinion of others.
- Respect and protect the right to others to have personal property – don’t envy what they have and don’t take from them what is rightfully theirs.
- Protect the person and property of others when they are in crisis.
- When you see others in the way of danger warn them so they can avoid disaster.
After Cain killed his brother the Lord appeared to him and asked where his brother was. Cain responded, somewhat sarcastically, “Am I my brothers' keeper?” We know the answer to that question: A resounding yes! Jesus gave us the responsibility to look out for one another, even those we do not consider friends, because that is the way we would like to be treated.
Prayer: Lord, help me to treat others as you have treated me.
You can download the entire Daily God Walk for the month simply by clicking below: